How to Choose an Agent
Here’s a general checklist on how to choose a real estate agent.
Some reasons to consider choosing us are elsewhere on this site.
Honestly, it’s often good to get a personal recommendation from someone you trust – friend or family – who has bought or sold a home in the area in which you are thinking of buying. If somebody else you know has had a good experience, it’s likely you will as well. On the other hand, a mediocre referral is worse then none. In that case, you should look farther afield.
In that case this checklist becomes even more important!
Choosing an Agent Checklist
- Choose an agent who often handles homes in your price range.
- Choose an agent who listens to what you want and who takes the time to explain things which aren’t clear to you. You are paying for the agent’s time, so make the agent earn his or her money by asking the hard questions.
- Choose an agent who is available on your time schedule. If you are only available to look at homes on Sunday, and your agent doesn’t work weekends, then find one to accommodate you and not the other way around.
- Make sure your agent can assist you with other necessary real estate services, such as arranging a house inspection, arranging a mortgage and finding a real estate lawyer.
- When buying a home, interview the prospective agent just as if you were hiring them for a job, because you are! Ask questions. Take notes. Often it’s a good idea to interview several agents before making your decision.
- Check references! Check the agent’s site for a testimonial section and ask for a couple of personal references you can check.
- If you are selling your home, ask about the agent’s marketing plan. An MLS listing alone is not nearly enough. Make a list of questions and ask every potential agent the same set of questions so you can compare apples to apples. Talk with agent about current market conditions. Ask what makes that agent different from others. Ask why you should choose them.
We hope the list above helps you. If you have any questions about West Toronto real estate or if you’d like just to talk with us personally, call us at 416 236-1871. We’d be very glad to answer any of your questions and be of assistance.